Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"Great Cake-Balls O'Fire"

Using these three ingredients, I made chocolate covered cake balls...I really need to think of a new name for these! I'm making them for the baby shower that I am hosting. Since I have never made them before, I thought that trying them out and taking them to work would be the perfect trial run! The process is a little long...but I hear well worth the wait. (This gal is still off all sweets for Lent...and yes, after making them I found the will power to restrain from tasting them!)

After baking the cake (see box for directions) crumble it up and mix the icing in it. Then chill in the refrigerator for an 1-1 1/2 hours. (The cake must be chilled to not fall apart in the 'balling' process.)



While the cake is chilling, you can begin to melt the chocolate. (For the baby shower I am going to tint the white chocolate with blue to give it a marble affect.) Some chocolate you can melt in the microwave. I melt it in a glass bowl over boiling water so that I don't burn it...guilty, I have burned chocolate when melting it before!


Once the chocolate is melted and somewhat cooled...I used a melon baller to make little balls of cake, then put them in the chocolate, covered them, and put them on wax paper. (**Tip, the cooler your cake balls are...the more they will stay formed into little balls. Use a toothpick to put it in the chocolate.)



Here was the first of my attempts...not bad!



Here is the finished results...before I put it on a decorative plate...I was in a rush and didn't get a chance to take a picture of it.


My co-workers said that they were delicious...cake, icing, chocolate...what's not to love!

No comments:

Post a Comment