Monday, September 23, 2013

CJ's Birth Story:Part 1

    This blog was started first and foremost as a way for me to document what was/is going in with my family. It was something that I could one day show my children. It just so happens that other people wanted to also know what was going in with my As a warning, this post may get detailed....too detailed for some of you. Please remember that this is for me to remember a significant part of CJ's survival and a new chapter in our lives. 

Sunday, September 8th 2013

      Sundays in the hospital were usually pretty low-key days. They were also my loneliest/hardest days. I think it was because I knew it was a day of rest for my family before gearing up for the long hectic week and they needed time at home to rest up. Plus...not much good TV to watch in Sundays.  However, this Sunday, Curt came up in te morning for a few hours to spend some time with me...very rarely would we get alone time just to talk freely without having to censor our conversation in front of Clayton and Lacey.  A few hours after he left, Clayton and Lacey came with my parents to hang out for a couple of hours. Both my kids just wanted to lay in bed with me and cuddle...of course, I was only too happy to oblige! 
 Little did I know...this would be the last time all 3 of my babies would be together for a very long time. 
   After they left, I had taken a nice long nap..visits really wore me out, I just didn't have a lot of stamina from being on bed rest and alone for so much of the time. Visits were definitely high stimulus for me. I had a nice dinner around 7:30 pm(I know this is weird to note, but it I super important to future events of the story). After my dinner, it was time for one if my routine monitorings. These were every 6 hours and would last a little over an hour, as long as everything was normal on the monitor. 
   For a few days prior, CJ had some dips in his heart rate every now and then in the monitor. This was slightly worrisome as the concern was that his umbilical corn was being compressed due to his growing size and no amniotic fluid to act as a cushion.
  After a little over 2 hours of being monitor, I knew something was going on. Very rarely was I in the monitor for so long without an update as to why. At about 9:30pm, the nurse came in to let me know CJ had a pretty big dip in his heart that had lasted about five minutes. He was going to need more monitoring, but it was up to me if I wanted a break from it and but back in the monitor at 4:00 am or to stay on it currently until 1:00 am. There was no way I was going to get any rest if I got off the monitor now. I would have been to worried about how CJ was doing. I told the nurse that I would just stay on it if how long was nessecary. So...that's what we did. Every 5 minutes, I would check the monitor from 9:30 pm to 1:00 am. There was no sleep or rest. I was on high alert to check CJ's heart rate to make sure he was ok. As far as I could tell, he seemed stable. When the nurse came in at 1:00am..she confirmed that he looked good ad I was to be taken off the monitor, but was going to be out back on in a few hours as a precaution. I like precautions...they help to avoid potential disastourous  or emergency situations. With some peace of mind that my baby was doing ok, I was able to get some rest...a very short rest. 

Monday, September 9th, 2013: 4:30 AM

        I was sound asleep and woke up to a gushing feeling. Now, you have to remember that this gushing feeling was nothing new. When my water had first broke way back in July 25, I had been leaking fluid ever since. Sometimes a light leak that I barely noticed, sometimes a large gush...depending on how I was laying and CJ's position in my uterus. So a gush was nothing new. This gush was larger than most I noticed...which, since I hadn't really leaked the whole time I was being monitored, I figured I was due for a large leak. To help fight off potential infection to the baby, every time I leaked, I had to change the pad. As I was getting up, I noticed that there was more leaking than normal. I turned on my room light and my heart stopped. I hadn't leaked the clear fluid I was used was blood...a lot of blood. It had leaked through the pad, through my pajamas, through 2 of the water proof pads that you lay on in the hospital bed. 
  My first instinct was to get myself cleaned up...don't ask me why I didn't call the nurse first. I felt like I needed to do something...I couldn't sit and wait. So I got up, got my self cleaned up, and them called the nurse. As I waited, I started to get a little nervous because I hadn't yet felt CJ move. Normally, he would be moving and repositioning himself...not this time. 
  When the nurse came, she was so calm and soothing. She quickly got my bed cleaned up, got me settled back in bed and got us hooked up to the monitors. I can't describe the feeling I had when I heard his heart beat on the monitor. Relief. Joy. Those words don't seem strong enough to convey the emotion I felt. 
  I knew I needed to text Curt what was happening, but I didn't want to worry him until I knew what was going on. I surely didn't want to wake him if this turned out to be nothing. He needed his sleep and did not need any added stress from me. I did text him just to say I was back I. Te monitor and had leaked some blood, but I would keep him posted, no need to panic or to come to the hospital. 
  After about an hour on te monitor, I started to have some small contractions every 5 minutes. I couldn't feel them, but saw them in the monitor. Luckily, CJ's heart rate remained steady through the contractions. Again, I was unsure if I should text Curt or not...but ended up texting him what was going on stressing to him I was ok, baby was ok and there was no need to come to the hospital. 
  About this time, I was hooked up to an IV fluid bag and the doctors were contemplating giving me magnesium sulfate to try and stop the contractions. I had heard rumors about "mag." I had heard that patients on mag feel like their body is in fire, terrible vomiting, even some hallucinations. Needless to say I was nervous about this, but was all for getting it if the mag would help keep me pregnant.  Turned out, it was decided to try the mag. Shortly after I was hooked up the walked Curt. 
   Thankfully, he didn't listen to me this time...or else he would have missed the birth of his son. 

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment