Friday, April 22, 2011

Stuffed Peppers, Vegan Style

Vegan Challenge Day: 6


Ingredients:

  • 4 peppers (any color you like...I'm not a big green pepper fan, so I use the red, orange, and yellow peppers)
  • Rice (I use long grain brown rice...which I make the night before because it takes 45minutes to cook, just an fyi) For 4 peppers, I used 2 cups of rice)
  • 1 can of tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup diced onions
  • 1/2 cup of diced onions (any kind...I actually used green for color)
  • EVOO: Extra Virgin Olive Oil (not sure how much I used, just eyeballed if you know what I mean!)
  • Extras if you prefer: garlic...to taste


How to Make the 'stuff' in stuffed peppers:
  • Cook rice according to directions
  • In a saute pan, saute onion and peppers in EVOO with garlic to taste (now would be the time to add any other veggies you like, I thought about adding carrots and peas as well Oh, I also added chives and some Italian herbs that I had in my pantry...but really, add anything you like!)
  • Once veggies are done, add tomato paste and stir until blended well
  • Add rice, mix, and simmer

How to Make the 'peppers' in stuffed peppers:
  • Preheat oven to 375'
  • Cut the top of peppers and clean out the seeds on the inside
  • Brush or rub the inside and outside of peppers with EVOO
  • Put in safe baking containing
How to Make the 'stuff' + 'pepper':
  • Spoon the 'stuff' into the peppers
  • Drizzle EVOO over the top of your peppers (I also added a little garlic on top of each pepper, did I mention I like garlic?)
  • Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the pepper shell is tender
  • Serve warm
This was a meal in its self for me, however pairing it with come garlic bread...yeah, I love garlic!...would be delicious as well. My meat-lover husband tried it and said it was his favorite of the meals I had made, (which was in comparison to the curry meal I had made...have I mentioned my husband loves meat and is a VERY picky eater?). I could easily make this for him by substituting the rice for meat and adding either sliced cheese or Parmesan cheese to the top of the peppers.

Let me know if you try this recipe or send me any vegan recipes you have or recipes that can be changed into vegan style.




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment